|cooking ogbono soup with lumpy egusi|
because of the way we enjoyed this soup, the taste and ease of swallowing semovita,
I was forced to call it the mother of all draw soups.
The ground crayfish just made it taste out of this world.
I didn't add green ugu here, because I wanted it just plain.
I needed to savor the original taste of egusi lumps in draw soups.
I never knew why Asaba people don't eat ogbono until I saw Myne's okro with ogbono soup, and the reasons she gave. Now I know why ogbono is not eaten by The Asaba People of Nigeria.
|melon lumps in ogbono soup|
- Ground ogbono
- Ground egusi (melon)
- bush meat (dried)
- Smoked cat fish
- Ground crayfish
- knorr seasoning cubes
- Green ugu (optional)
- palm oil
Steps to cooking ogbono with lumpy egusi:
- The bush meat is washed and boiled in a pot with some water, a lil palm oil, salt, seasoning cubes, chopped onions and ground pepper. It is allowed to boil and then simmer until the dry bush meat begins to get tender.
- The ground melon is again put in a mortar with some salt and a little water enough to make it bring out melon oil when mixed. Now, mix or pound until the oil in the melon begins to seep out and rub on the mortar. When the oil begins to make pounding difficult, cut in little sizes and drop one after the other into the boiling stock.
- Cover and allow the melon to cook well. After the melon boiled for a while, I realized the pot was beginning to dry up, added some more water. Checked for salt and let it cook
- Now, the melon is cooked! remove from the pot before pouring in the ground ogbono with enough ground crayfish. **( the rest of the cooking is done without egusi in the pot, it is then put back, when cooking is almost done, and allowed to boil for a while before the soup is ready).**
- If you want ugu vegetables in yours, then add sparingly, add when the cooking is done and stir before turning off the heat.
- Serve with poundo, semovita, semolina, amala, eba or even starch.
I did not add veggies to this because, I wanted to have a taste of it without ugu.
|Ogbono soup cooked with smoked bush meat and Fish, some egusi lumps too|
Ogbono is a softener, and will just soften and dissolve all the lumps before cooking is done.