Smoked fish gravy is sauce cooked like any other gravy we have on this blog. Cooked with vegetables, seasoning and a thickener which could be baking flour.
Cooking gravy is very easy as all it needs is stir fry the vegetables, add stock or water, season to taste and thicken to desired consistency. Gravy is cheaper (less expensive) to cook compared to Nigerian tomato stew. Gravy is nutritious and can make you eat so much rice because of the taste. Can be cooked with meat, chicken, fish etc. Scroll down to see more gravy recipes on the blog.
INGREDIENTS FOR SMOKED FISH GRAVY:
- 6 cups stock but added some more water later to reduce the thickness
- 4 large carrots
- 3 medium sized onion
- 1 large cabbage
- 4 red bell peppers (tatashey)
- 2 smoked fish (Titus/mackerel)... deboned
- 2 packs knorr roast meat gravy
- 1/3 cup flour
- Grand soya oil
- 1 tablespoon pepper sauce
- 2 knorr cubes
- Chop and dice all vegetables and put away.
- Wash and debone the smoked fish
- Heat oil a little
- Stir fry the vegetables with seasoning cubes for about 1 minute or more if you want them a bit soft. I like crunchy veggies.
- Add the stock or water or both.
- Add pepper sauce and stir, check for taste of salt and seasoning
- Thicken. I used knorr gravy and added flour when not satisfied with thickness.
- Add smoked fish last so it doesn't crumble during stirring. Check taste and thickness.
- Serve with rice.
|Vegetables for gravy|
|Stir fry vegetables in oil with seasoning|
|Adding my frozen stock. This is old preserved stock, chicken and beef stock together|
|Adding more water and gravy powder|
|Adding my pepper sauce|
|Adding flour. Mixed with water|
|Finally adding the smoked fish|
|Food is served|
|Enjoy your 5 star gravy with boiled Nigerian rice|
|Enjoy Sunday Rice|
Click on the links below to see other gravy recipes on the blog:
- Chicken wing gravy with garden egg
- Chicken vegetable gravy
- Fresh catfish gravy
- Shredded beef gravy by Lamide
- Delicious chicken stock gravy
- Chicken and shrimp gravy with vegetables by MrsB
- Nigerian gravy with curried rice by Mavis Imanatue
- More gravy recipes here
- Vegetable sauce with beef onion thickener