Egusi Soup Recipe
|Egusi soup also known as melon soup.|
Egusi soup also known as melon soup in Nigeria can be cooked plain or with vegetables. Egusi soup cooked with green vegetables is very nutritious. I can take the soup alone without foofoo or any swallow and still feel full and satisfied. This soup cooks fast. The reason I add egusi (melon) early is to give it enough time to cook. Sometimes, I fry the egusi in palm oil before adding to the soup. That way, the egusi becomes a bit lumpy. At other time, I add a little warm water to the egusi (melon), stir and mix or pound until oil begins to come out of the melon before dropping in tiny lumps into the pot of soup.
This egusi with vegetable soup can be served alongside Eba, Starch, semo, poundo or not too soft Amala. This soup is much, can serve up to 10.
- 4 cups ground egusi (melon)
- 11/2kg goat meat
- fluted pumpkin vegetables (ugu leaves)
- 1 large smoked catfish
- 1 pack stockfish
- 2 tablespoons palm oil
- seasoning cubes to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 large peppers
- 1 cup crayfish
- Boil washed goat meat with salt, pepper and onions for about 10 minutes
- Add water if you notice pot is drying up. Add seasoning cubes Check for salt
- Add stock fish, melon and crayfish when meat stock begins to, boil
- Allow egusi to cook for about 8 minutes before adding palm oil and washed periwinkles, stir, check for salt, cover to boil till you are satisfied with the thicknness of the soup and taste of the melon
- Agg the ugwu vegetables, stir and leave for about 3 minutes before turning off the heat. Leave soup pot open so that the heated pot does not continue cooking your green vegetables.
- Serve with your foo foo or any swallow.
Remember that egusi vegetable soup tastes better after one day, so, cook much and save the rest.
|ugwu melon soup with pounded yam|
|frozen goat meat kept to thaw|
|boiling goat meat with onions, salt and ground pepper|
|adding water and seasoning o the stock|
|add ground egusi (melon)|
|add washed stockfish and smoked fish|
|add ground crayfish|
|add palm oil|
|add periwinkles (mfi)|
|stir and check for salt|
|add washed ugwu (fluted pumpkin)|
|stir ugwu in and check for salt|
|stir, check for salt and add if needed|
|ugwu egusi soup with soft smooth pounded yam|