|drying smoked fish in the sun to prevent molds. the ones with molds were not properly dried before storing|
I said it before that smoked fish and crayfish are my secret ingredients to great taste of soups whether draw, egusi, vegetable or any local Naija soup.
Cooking soups without crayfish and smoked fish can be very stressful. You add too much seasoning cubes and sometimes over-salt the soups while trying to find out why the taste is below expectation.
|drying smoked fish in the oven|
- Press a finger on the stomach, if it feels too soft, the fish may be bad.
- Buy smoked fish that's still a bit brown and black. very black fish may have got burnt in the process of smoking.
- Buy fish that looks fresh and a bit fleshy. Too dry may mean that it has stayed too long with the seller and passed through the fire too many times.
- Oily fish may have gotten bad and re-oiled to make it look fresh.
- Fish with moulds do not taste good.
- It's more economical to buy in bulk. It is even more cheaper if 2, 3, or four people combine to buy a carton of fish and then share. Buying in cartons is the cheapest.
- where they can be got at their cheapest rates is in a place like Maiduguri. In the north of Nigeria.
|oven drying works faster and keeps the fish preserved for a long time|
- Store fish in airtight plastic containers
- Sun or oven dry at least once a week
- Do not throw away the heads, keep them for porridges and soups when they are in powdered form
- Check for insects by shaking the fish
- If possible, open fish up before sunning and storing
|drying catfish in the sun helps to air and make the fish last longer|
- Store fish heads in a separate container until they are many.
- Oven dry or sun very well
- Grind and sieve out the tiny particles of bones
- Keep the smooth powder for meals like ekpang, porridge yam, porridge plantain, white soup, and other non- vegetable soups.
- Fish heads ground into powder and used for cooking are great taste enhancers. Do not waste smoked fish head, it can be very useful in powdered form.
Do you know other tips that are not listed? Can you share?