|a serving of isi ewu with chilled Red Grape Juice|
In case you are tired of your husband and friends visiting that isi ewu joint
every saturday evening, set them up with this, and scatter their plans.
I have not seen a Nigerian man who can resist Isi ewu. Right from
the North, to the southern Parts, Eastern Nigeria where this dish originated from,
and even Southeren Nigeria, they all enjoy Isi ewu and find it irresistible.
For the palm wine drinkers, there is nothing they enjoy like Isi ewu with
a keg or mug of palm wine. For your Father In-law, just win him over to
your camp with Irresistible Isi-ewu.
Funny enough, after I tasted this delicacy, I officially joined the men and
automatically became a great fan of Isi-ewu. To make matters worse,
a goat head is the cheapest part of it's whole body.
This goat head I prepared for my family was bought for just #500.
If you buy more than one head, it gets even cheaper.
Bigger heads are a bit expensive though.
I do not know if it's the aroma of the spices or just the crunchy biscuit bones in
a goat head that make isi ewu irresistible.
Don't you think that, if he can get Isi-ewu at home on week ends, he may not bother
visiting that Isi ewu joint?
|boiling the goat head with onion, pepper,salt and wrapped brain|
- 1Frozen goat head ( I had bought mine and kept in the freezer ahead of weekend. It is difficult to get them on weekends because restaurant owners clear everything).
- Spices ( Sorry about not knowing the names, that's why I put the pictures)
- Brain ( wrapped in a separate bag)
- 2 yellow pepper
- potash/ akanwu (optional)
- 2 cubes knorr or maggi seasoning cubes
- 1 small sized onion
- salt to taste
- 1 table spoon palm oil
|the brain cooks in 12 minutes and is ready for pounding|
- The washed meat is put in a pot with salt, ground pepper. chopped onion, one seasoning cube and some water. Allowed to boil for 12 to 15 minutes before bringing out the cooked and hardened brain for pounding.
- The roast and skinned nuts are pounded before adding the brain, palm oil and a cube of maggi. Pound till smooth before adding to the boiling pot, stirr.
- Pound the melon type ingredient too and add, stirr, check for salt, seasoning and water/thickness and allow to simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes before adding the utazi vegetable. stir, leave for just a minute or two and turn off the heat.
- Serve with some chilled wine.
Enjoy, life has no duplicate jare!
|isi ewu spice nuts are being burnt for grinding|
|the nuts skin roast well in the hot flame|
|the nuts are well burnt|
|they are allowed to cool off a little before removing the skin|
|the burnt skin is removed with a sharp kitchen knife|
|the nuts are pounded|
|the boiled brain is pounded with palm oil, knorr seasoning cube and the ground nuts|
|well pounded isi ewu ingredients|
|ingredients are added to the boiling pot of goat head|
can someone please help us with the name of this isi ewu and pepper soup spice, it is a thickener. I just pointed at it and bought without finding out the name. Now I don hook.
|it is pounded and added to the boiling pot|
|utazi leaves are thinly chopped like okazi (afang) leaves and added|
|Enjoy lunch or dinner with isi ewu and chilled red grape juice or your sweet wine or even red wine|
|Too good to waste even a piece of the isi ewu|
|Some portion of the isi ewu has been eaten already|
This is not the season for utazi and red pepper. They are almost out of stock, however, you can replace them with hot leaf and red pepper. You will still get that unique, great taste of Isi ewu.