|edikang ikong vegetable soup with hot eba|
I think that importing my kitchen diary blog here is kind of flooding this zone with food,food, food!
will try hard not to let food over power my blog o.
Edikang Ikong soup is one of my favorite vegetable soups/stew. I cooked this soup in thirty minutes, that is minus the time I used to cook the goat meat. Goat meat is not as tough as beef so, it cooked fast.The quantity is much for this small cooking pot ,hence the constant spill each time I stir the pot.
|how to cook edikang ikong vegetable soup|
INGREDIENTS FOR COOKING MY SIMPLE EDIKANG IKONG GREEN VEGETABLE STEW/SOUP
- 2 bunches Fluted pumpkin (ugu)
- 3 large bunches of water leaf
- 2 kg goat meat OR 1 1/2kg beef
- 1 pack stock fish ears (optional)
- snails (optional)
- 1 cup ground crayfish
- 2 large smoked cat fish
- 5 cow skin (kpomo)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion to boil the beef
- 2 knorr cubes
- salt to taste
- water the exact level of steamed meat or a little bit below but NOT above. Water shouldn't be too much.
|vegetable soup served with eba|
|Getting the pot ready for the green vegetables|
- The washed goat meat is salted and boiled with some chopped onion and ground pepper.
- The washed and chopped kpomo is added with knorr cubes for some minutes and it is brought out again. Leaving kpomo to continue boiling reduces it's size, that's why I prefer to buy soft ones that cook fast.
- Once the pot boils and the goat meat is no longer red, I add the palm oil and cover. Raw palm oil taste is not nice in vegetable soups. It is beast to give palm oil enough time to boil and mix with the content in the pot.
- After the oil boils well, I add enough ground crayfish with the washed smoked fish, check for salt and cover.
- The washed water leaf and ugu (fluted pumpkin) comes in last. At this point I don't cover the pot anymore, but just continue to stir until the content is evenly mixed before turning off the heat and leaving the pot open to prevent retained heat from over cooking the tender veggies.
This is the same way I cook my afang soup sometimes. The difference is in the type of vegetable used.
If you missed my afang soup, then go HERE
|edikang ikong soup recipe, fresh, simple and healthy|
If stock fish is present in your pot, boil it with the meat. I like to see all my meats and chew them, that's why when I see that any meat or fish is tender and about to get crushed by my stirring, I immediately bring it out of the pot to return when the cooking is almost done.
- For goat meat, males cook faster. Female animals take longer to cook. Their meat is tough. I go for meat from male animals.
- Do not add the smoked fish early because long cooking will crush it.
- Wash the ugu and water leaf together so that you don't have to stir too much trying to get an even mix.
- I stopped par boiling water leaf long ago because, adding it at the same time with other vegetables tastes better and is healthier. Water leaf makes the soup watery only when it is over cooked.
- Cook vegetable soup in a big pot to avoid spillage from over load.*covers face*