| vegetable ogbono soup with beef and smoked fish|
|Ogbono with veggies, beef and smoked fish served with warm garri|
INGREDIENTS FOR COOKING THIS OGBONO SOUP:
- Dry Fish
- Ugu Vegetable (flutted pumpkin)
- Palm Oil
MY RECIPE FOR THIS SOUP:
- I put the washed and salted beef into a dry pot, added some chopped onion and covered to cook.
- The pot is allowed to boil until the juice in the beef is dry without burning the pot.
- The beef was still tough after the pot dried up, so, I added some more water to cook it the more and this time, I dropped just a little palm oil and added the pepper and seasoning, before covering the lid. It is allowed to boil until the beef begins to get chew able.
- The ogbono and crayfish were ground together, so, at this point, I poured them into the boiling pot and covered halfway, so that the it doesn't boil and spill. While the pot boils spreading the nice aroma all over the kitchen and it's environs, I heat water for garri. Enough to give me very soft and fluffy eba.
- After a while, I noticed that quantity of water was too small for the size of soup I was preparing, so, I added a little water with the smoked cat fish and brought it to a boil.
- The vegetable was the last thing that entered the boiling pot. Once I add vegetable and stir, my soup is ready I do not allow green vegetables to boil even twice, before turning off the heat. Once they are heated a bit, I know the vitamins are still intact, I quickly turn off the cooker.
- The Garri is poured into hot water and allowed to stand for five minutes before stirring and adding as much water as is needed to give a fluffy feel.
To get the most out of your eating pleasure, the fufu has to be soft and we know that soft garri digests fast and easily too. Remember to use hand sanitizers or sweet smelling hand washing liquid after eating draw soup because the crayfish smell seems to linger a while. The soup is best served in a deep bowl.
NOTE: Mushrooms give a richer taste to this soup. They are not here because I couldn't lay my hands on any mushrooms. Always remember that too much palm oil changes the flavor of meals. It has to be added early so that it boils and mixes well without floating on top.