|How to cook Afang soup image|
| Vegetable (Afang) Soup With |
|Hot Eba With Vegetable Soup|
This is a meal I can comfortably eat everyday, provided it is served just once a day. This vegetable soup takes time to cook if you do not know the trick of getting everything ready and set, before you turn on the cooker.
- Vegetable ( Afang). Ugu can be used instead for those who do not like afang.
- Stock fish
- Waterleaf OR Spinach
- Kpomo (cow skin)
- Smoked Fish
- Stock Fish
- Snails (optional )
- Mushrooms (optional)
- Periwinkles ( mfi)
- Seasoning Cubes
- Palm Oil
- Put the washed beef in a pot with just a drop of water.
- Add chopped onion, some pepper and seasoning. Cover and allow the juice from the washed beef to cook until the it dries up.
- Add some water, washed snails, Stock fish and kpomo, then allow to boil for about 10 minutes. If the stockfish and kpomo are the type that cooks fast and easily, to avoid them falling off, remove from the pot and keep in a separate container with the snails too.
- Add palm oil, Let the beef continue to cook until it is tender. If there is need for more water, salt or seasoning, you can add to taste. Your ground crayfish and smoked fish are added at this time and allowed to cook for about 3 minutes. Remember that overcooked smoked fish falls off. It doesn't need much cooking.
- When the meat and smoked fish have boiled a little, You then pour in the cooked stock fish, periwinkles, snails and kpomo. If there is some mushrooms, you add them now.
- As soon as the mushrooms are added, the washed and pounded or ground Afang *( If you are cooking with Ugu, there is no need for pounding or grinding).* are also added. Stir with a smooth wooden soup laddle to avoid crushing the delicate mushrooms and smoked fish. Stir until the content is properly mixed together and quickly turn off the cooker. TIP: leave the pot open so that the green veggies do not continue cooking. If you allow the vegetables to boil, then the freshness is lost. I love my veggies GREEN!! Sometimes, I add the crayfish at the same time with the vegetables. *Do not parboil the water leaf because doing so will destroy the nutrients. So long as you do not allow the veggies to boil, waterleaf will not be able to release excess water into your pot of soup.*
- Mix your garri with enough boiled water to prevent it from turning hard.
- Serve hot and enjoy. It can be served with pounded yam, semovita, amala, etc.
For the soup displayed here, I did not add mushrooms and snails. You can pick your favorite ingredients and cook with them. However, do not forget crayfish and stock fish if you truly want the original afang aroma and taste.